The Baltimore Writing Hour is starting a literary podcast! Accepting Submissions.
Each episode will be a 60 minute collection of short pieces framed as a fictional radio show.
About the Show:
Simone Addakari is a well educated but directionless twenty something, trying to find a place in the world. Inspired by the old radio plays her father played for her as a child and a lifetime of NPR, she decides to launch her own radio show. Produced in her mother’s basement, the show includes news stories and interviews from around her town, reported on by various friends, and creative pieces from town residents.
The show, as a whole, has a sense of whimsy and irreverence, while still attempting to convey truth. Its focus is the experience of being young and the more generally the experience of being human.
Note: Simone is the creation of one person but belongs to the whole podcast. Feel free to explore her personality and world as you see fit. Though such pieces may be work shopped to ensure character consistency.
- The first episode’s theme is “Starting Out”. (For those thinking ahead, the theme for the second episode will be “Doubt”.)
- Pieces can be short stories, poems, radio plays, fictional interviews, news stories, fake advertisements, ect. The format is very flexible, so feel free to get creative.
- Most pieces should be 10 minutes long or less. Though longer pieces still may be considered.
- Psychological or existentialist horror is acceptable (especially if it speaks to the human condition), gore porn is not. Neither is regular porn. (Keep it classy!) Wacky out there humor is also acceptable, especially for shorter things like ads.
- All work must be typed and submitted as attachments without your name in the document (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .pdf, .txt, .odt are acceptable).
- In the email body, include your full name, the name you would like to be published under, the genre of your work, contact information.
- We maintain the right to republish accepted work at a later date.
- Send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get More Involved:
If you’re interested in:
- helping with production,
- joining our cast of voice actors,
- providing music for the show,
- creating a serial segment
- or being more involved in developing the show’s overall story arc
email us at email@example.com. Be sure to specify “podcast” in the subject so it gets to the right person.